Matthew Sweeney nació en Lifford (Irlanda) en 1952 y murió en Cork (Irlanda) en 2018.
GOLD
After the murder, I called a meeting
to see if we were happy. I declared
I was not — I said I liked the man
we shot. You all disagreed with this.
I asked if you knew him, his wife,
none of you did. “Kill me, then,”
I said. You all stared at me. “Why,
Bernard? Of course we won’t.”
“Why not?” I said. “He was a good
man, a better man than me. And
look at what I’ve brought you —
rubbish, dodgy tales, dross.”
“Easy to dismiss that,” you said.
“We appreciated it all. And you
wandered the wild paths to bring
it back to us — your songs, your
legends, magic stories, your gold.”
I thanked you, but shook my head.
The good man was dead. I didn’t care
what I’d brought you. I needed to go.
I packed up my sagas, my song lyrics,
my alchemy potions, my gold, and
I disappeared.
ORO
Después del asesinato,
convoqué una reunión
para ver si éramos felices. Yo declaré
que no — dije
que me gustaba el hombre
que tiroteamos. Vosotros no estuvisteis de acuerdo.
Pregunté si le conocíais, a él, a su mujer,
no sabíais quién era. “Matadme, entonces,”
dije. Os quedasteis mirándome. “¿Por qué,
Bernard? Por supuesto que no lo haremos.”
“¿Por qué no?” Dije. “Era un buen
hombre, mejor que yo. Y
fijaros en lo que os he traído —
basura, cuentos marrulleros, escoria.”
“Fácil de olvidar,” dijisteis.
“Te lo agradecimos. Y
vagaste por caminos salvajes para
devolvérnoslo — tus canciones, tus
leyendas, tus historias mágicas, tu oro.”
Os di las gracias, pero negué con la cabeza.
El buen hombre había muerto. Me importaba poco
lo que yo os había traído. Necesitaba marcharme.
Guardé mis epopeyas, mis letras de canciones,
mis pócimas de alquimia, mi oro, y
desaparecí.

Comentarios
Publicar un comentario